Kansas Organizations | National Organizations | Kansas Government | National Government



The Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC)
The Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC), formerly Kansas Advocacy & Protective Services (KAPS), is a 501(c)(3) public interest legal advocacy agency empowered by federal law to advocate for the civil and legal rights of Kansans with disabilities. DRC is designated by the State of Kansas the official Protection and Advocacy System for Kansas.  As such, DRC advocates for the rights of Kansans with disabilities under state or federal laws (ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, Federal Medicaid Act, Kansas Act Against Discrimination, etc.)

214 SW 6th Ave., Ste. 100
Topeka, KS 66603
785-273-9661(V) | 1-877-776-1541 (Toll free)

Kansas Centers for Independent Living  (CILs)
Not for profit disability rights organizations that serve people with all types of disabilities and all ages, operated and run by people with disabilities. Advocate for the rights of people with all disabilities. Provide a variety of services to assure people can live in the most integrated setting where and how they choose. There are ten CILs in Kansas, and they are as follows:

Statewide Independent Living Council of Kansas (SILCK)
The SILCK is a private nonprofit corporation governed by people with all types of disabilities from all across the state. The role of the SILC is to identify societal barriers to independent living and to collaborate with Centers for Independent Living, Rehabilitation Services and other related entities to develop a State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) to promote and build the network of Centers for Independent Living. The SPIL is to support removal of barriers and to increase the supports and services needed to create independent living opportunities.
785-234-6990 Voice/TDD

Self Advocate Coalition of Kansas (SACK)
The Self Advocate Coalition of Kansas (SACK) is a statewide advocacy group made up of adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, the majority of whom receive services through the Kansas Developmental Disabilities Service System. SACK encourages and teaches people to speak up for themselves and to obtain the highest possible level of independence.
2518 Ridge Ct. #236
Lawrence, KS 66046
785-749-5588 (V) 

Kansas Council on Developmental Disabilities
The Council’s mission is to empower individuals with I/DD and their families to lead systems changes, build capacity, and advocate for inclusive, integrated, accessible communities where everyone belongs and thrives. KCDD serves people with intellectual and developmental disabilities through advocacy, public policy, and education.
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson, Room 569
Topeka KS 66612-1570
(785) 296-2608 (V) | (877) 431-4604 (Toll-Free) | (785) 296-2861 (Fax)

KS Community Developmental Disability Organizations (CDDO’s)
Community Developmental Disability Organizations (CDDOs) are the single point of entry for an individual or family to obtain services through the developmental disabilities system in Kansas.  CDDOs are responsible for determining whether a person qualifies for services, working with the person and/or the person’s family or guardian in choosing from service options and referring those persons to other agencies if additional supports are needed. 

  • Achievement Services for NE KS
    Counties served include: Atchison and Jackson.
  • Arrowhead West, Inc.
    Counties served include: Barber, Clark, Comanche, Edwards, Ford, Gray, Harper, Hodgeman, Kingman, Kiowa, Meade, Ness, and Pratt 
  • Big Lakes Developmental Center, Inc.
    Counties served include: Clay, Riley, Pottawatomie, and Geary.
  • Brown Co. (new name)
    785-741-8012 (new number)
    Counties served include: Brown and Doniphan. 
  • CDDO of Southeast Kansas 
    620-429-8985 | 877-391-4066
    Counties served include: Cherokee, Crawford, Labette, and Montgomery.
    Counties served include: Coffey, Franklin, and Osage.
  • Sedgwick County Developmental Disability Organization
    County served: Sedgwick
  • Cottonwood, Inc.
    Counties served include: Douglas and Jefferson
  • Cowley Cnty. Community Developmental Disability Organization
    County served: Cowley
  • Developmental Services of NW Kansas
    Counties served include: Cheyenne, Decatur, Ellis, Gove, Graham, Logan, Norton, Osborne, Phillips, Rawlins, Rooks, Russell, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Thomas, Trego, and Wallace
  • OCCK
    Counties served include: Cloud, Dickinson, Ellsworth, Jewell, Lincoln, Mitchell, Ottawa, Republic, and Saline
  • Butler County CDDO
    County served: Butler
  • Sumner Co. (new name)
    620-326-6100 (new number)
    County served: Sumner
  • Hetlinger Developmental Services, Inc.
    Counties served include: Chase, Lyon, Morris, and Wabaunsee.
  • Johnson County Developmental Supports
    County served: Johnson.
  • McPherson County CDDO
    County served: McPherson.
  • Nemaha Co. CDDO (new)
    785-336-5330 (new number)
    County served: Nemaha
  • New Beginnings Enterprises, Inc.
    Counties served include: Chautauqua, Elk, Greenwood and Wilson
  • Harvey-Marion County CDDO
    Counties served include: Harvey and Marion
  • Riverside Resources, Inc.
    County served: Leavenworth
  • Southwest Developmental Services, Inc.
    620-275-7521 (Garden City) | (620) 793-7604 (Great Bend) (New information)
    Counties served include: Barton, Finney, Grant, Greeley, Hamilton, Haskell, Kearny, Lane, Morton, Pawnee, Rice, Rush, Scott, Seward, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, and Wichita.
  • Shawnee County CDDO
    785-232-5083 (new)
    County served: Shawnee
  • Reno County CDDO
    County served: Reno
  • Tri-Ko, Inc.
    Counties served include: Anderson, Linn, and Miami
  • Prairie Ridge (new)
    620-431-3902 (new)
    Counties served include: Allen, Bourbon, Neosho, and Woodson
  • Twin Valley Developmental Services, Inc.
    Counties served include: Marshall and Washington
  • Wyandotte County CDDO
    County served: Wyandotte

Kansas Youth Empowerment Academy (KYEA)
The Kansas Youth Empowerment Academy educates, mentors, and supports youth with disabilities to be contributing members of their community.
2220 SE 29th St., Suite B
Topeka, KS 66605
785-215-6655 (V) | 785.215.6699 (Fax) 

Assistive Technology for Kansans
ATK connects people with Assistive Technology (“AT”). People with disabilities and health conditions of all ages have the opportunity to identify the AT they need to Learn, Work, Play, and Participate in Community life safely and independently.
2601 Gabriel
Parsons, KS 67357

K-Loan is a consumer-run program designed to provide persons with disabilities and their families with access to financial resources toward acquiring assistive technology through education, saving and borrowing. 
P.O. Box D1712 Main
Parsons, KS 67357
620-421-6554 | 866-465-2826

Aging & Disability Resource Centers (ADRC)
The Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC) are designed to empower older adults and persons with disabilities to make informed choices about their services and supports. This will streamline access to those services and ensure their individual needs will be met. 
Statewide Call Center: 1-855-200-2372

Families Together, Inc.
Families Together, Inc. is the Kansas Parent Training and Information (PTI) & Family-to-Family Health Information (F2F) Center. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides support and information for families of children, from birth to age 26, with disabilities and/or special health care needs. Programs are offered at no cost to families, and are available in English and Spanish.   

NAMI Kansas
NAMI provides, with their affiliates, programs of education, support, and advocacy for people living with mental illness, their families and friends. 

Community Mental Health Centers
Community Mental Health Centers (CMHCs) are charged by statute with providing the community-based public mental health services safety net. In addition to providing the full range of outpatient clinical services, Kansas’s 26 CMHCs provide comprehensive mental health rehabilitation services, such as psychosocial rehabilitation, community psychiatric support and treatment, peer support, case management and attendant care. Rehabilitation services have been proven to be key factors in supporting adults with severe and persistent mental illness (SPMI) and children/youth with Severe Emotional Disturbance (SED) in their recovery.
Center Directory: Click Here
Center Map: Click Here

back to top


National Council on Independent Living 
NCIL advances independent living and the rights of people with disabilities. NCIL envisions a world in which people with disabilities are valued equally and participate fully. NCIL is the longest-running national cross-disability, grassroots organization run by and for people with disabilities. They represent thousands of organizations and individuals including: individuals with disabilities, Centers for Independent Living (CILs), Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs), and other organizations that advocate for the human and civil rights of people with disabilities throughout the United States.

ADA National Network
The ADA National Network provides information, guidance and training on how to implement the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in order to support the mission of the ADA to “assure equality of opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency for individuals with disabilities.”

American Association of People with Disabilities
The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) is a national cross-disability rights organization. AAPD advocates for full civil rights for the over 60 million Americans with disabilities by promoting equal opportunity, economic power, independent living, and political participation.

Americans Disabled for Attendant Programs Today (ADAPT)
A national grass-roots community that organizes disability rights activists to engage in nonviolent direct action, including civil disobedience, to assure the civil and human rights of people with disabilities to live in freedom.

Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living (APRIL)
The Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living (APRIL) is a national grassroots, nonprofit membership organization consisting of over 260 members from centers for independent living, their satellites and branch offices, statewide independent living councils, other organizations and individuals concerned with the independent living issues of people with disabilities living in rural America.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
NAMI provides advocacy, education, support and public awareness so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives.

National Disability Rights Network (NDRN)

The National Disability Rights Network (NDRN) is the nonprofit membership organization for the federally mandated Protection and Advocacy (P&A) Systems and the Client Assistance Programs (CAP) for individuals with disabilities.

As the national membership association for the P&A/CAP network, NDRN has aggressively sought federal support for advocacy on behalf of people with disabilities, and expanded P&A programs from a narrow initial focus on the institutional care provided to people with intellectual disabilities in facilities to include advocacy services for all people with disabilities no matter the type or nature of their disability.

National Association of Statewide Independent Living Councils (NASILC)

To provide education and offer peer sharing on the roles and responsibilities of Statewide Independent Living Councils and to encourage networking opportunities with various national partners. The association also offers a unified voice of Statewide Independent Living Councils for the independent living movement.

Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU)
ILRU, founded in 1977, has a long history of providing research, education and consultation in the areas of independent living, home and community-based services, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

back to top



Kansas State Legislature

Kansas State Legislature House Roster

Kansas State Legislature Senate Roster 

Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
The goals of KDADS are to continue to deliver quality Older Americans Act services; to keep older adults and persons with disabilities at home and independent as long as possible; to keep them safe by ensuring that those who provide their care are qualified and tested; to support an integrated and coordinated Medicaid system to help those the agency serves; and to provide Kansans who need behavioral health services with appropriate care so they can live productive and fulfilling lives.

Kansas Commission for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing (KCDHH)
The Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (KCDHH) is a state agency authorized to develop and implement a program of information and referral, advocacy, public education and direct services.  Based in Topeka, KCDHH works with agencies and organizations throughout Kansas to assure availability and coordination of services for people who are deaf and hard of hearing, including communication access.  

KCDHH also maintains a registry of qualified sign language interpreters in order to track interpreters’ credentials, areas of expertise and geographic areas of practice of interpreters working in the State of Kansas. As required by K.S.A. 75-4355b (a), “All interpreters for the deaf, hard of hearing and speech impaired shall be certified or registered with the KCDHH or an agency designated by the Commission.”

KS Department for Children and Families 
Programs include: Child Support Services, Economic and Employment Services, Foster Care Licensing, Prevention and Protection Services, Office of the General Counsel, Operations, Organizational Health and Development​, and Rehabilitation Services

KS Department of Health & Environment
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment works to protect and improve the health and environment of all Kansans. KDHE’s work impacts the lives of Kansans every day, with tasks that include licensing hospitals and child care facilities; monitoring air quality and regulating landfills; and operating the state’s Medicaid program. KDHE has three divisions: Public Health, Environment, and Health Care Finance.

KS Rehabilitation Services
Rehabilitation Services offers a variety of programs to meet the diverse needs of Kansans with disabilities. Programs are Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) services, Services for people who are blind or visually impaired, Centers for Independent Living (CILs), Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (KCDHH), and Disability Determination Services (DDS)

Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns (KCDC)
The Commission provides policy recommendations to the State of Kansas on changes to laws, regulations and programs that affect people with disabilities. The Commission provides information to the public (communities and people) with disabilities on employment (work), school (to work or transition), home, play/community, youth issues, and disability history. KCDC is also an informational and referral resource for people who are not sure where to go for their problem or issue.

KS Housing Resource Corporation
A self-supporting, nonprofit, public corporation that serves as the primary administrator of federal housing programs for the State of Kansas.

KanCare (Medicaid)
KanCare is the program through which the State of Kansas administers Medicaid. Launched in January, 2013, KanCare is delivering whole-person, integrated care to more than 415,000 people across the state. Kansas has contracted with three health plans, or managed care organizations (MCOs), to coordinate health care for all people enrolled in Medicaid. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) and the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS) administer KanCare within the State of Kansas. KDHE maintains financial management and contract oversight of the KanCare program while KDADS administers the Medicaid waiver programs for disability services, mental health and substance abuse, as well as operates the state hospitals and institutions. KanCare health plans are required to coordinate all of the different types of care a consumer receives.

The goals of the KanCare program are to improve overall health outcomes while slowing the rate of cost growth over time. This will be accomplished by providing the right care, in the right amount, in the right setting, at the right time. The health plans focus on ensuring that consumers receive the preventive services and screenings they need and ongoing help with managing chronic conditions.

KS Weather Assistance Program
Weatherization improves energy efficiency and lowers utility bills by ensuring your home holds in heat and air conditioning while keeping hot and cold air out. Eligible households receive a comprehensive home energy audit to identify inefficiencies and health and safety concerns. 

KS Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit. 

SNAP Food Assistance Program
The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, provides qualifying low-income households with food benefits, access to a healthy diet and education on food preparation and nutrition. In Kansas, the program is known as the Food Assistance Program. 

KS Working Healthy/WORK Program
Many people with disabilities want to work but worry that doing so could jeopardize their vital health and long term care coverage. Working Healthy employment supports offer people with disabilities who are working or interested in working the opportunity to keep Medicaid coverage while on the job. Through Working Healthy people can earn more, save more, achieve their career goals, and still maintain their health coverage.

KS Human Rights Commission
The mission of the Kansas Human Rights Commission (KHRC) is to prevent and eliminate discrimination and assure equal opportunities in employment relations, to eliminate and prevent discrimination, segregation or separation, and assure equal opportunities in places of public accommodations and in housing.

back to top


The U.S. Access Board 
The U.S. Access Board is a federal agency that promotes equality for people with disabilities through leadership in inclusive design and the development of accessibility guidelines and standards.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Information and technical assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act.
A website to help people find government benefits they may be eligible to receive.

The Equal Opportunity Council (EEOC)
For discrimination issues in the workplace.

Social Security Administration
Provides information on retirement, disability and benefits for dependents and survivors.

Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the Department of Education
This page provides specific and detailed information that will assist you in filing a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at the Department of Education.

Housing & Urban Development
The Department of Housing and Urban Development is the Federal agency responsible for national policy and programs that address America’s housing needs, that improve and develop the Nation’s communities, and enforce fair housing laws. HUD’s business is helping create a decent home and suitable living environment for all Americans, and it has given America’s communities a strong national voice at the Cabinet level. HUD plays a major role in supporting homeownership by underwriting homeownership for lower- and moderate-income families through its mortgage insurance programs.

Health & Human Services (HHS)
HHS is the U.S. Government’s principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services, especially for those who are least able to help themselves. HHS accomplishes its mission through programs and initiatives that cover a wide spectrum of activities, serving and protecting Americans at every stage of life, from conception.

Administration on Community Living (ACL)
The Administration for Community Living was created around the fundamental principle that older adults and people of all ages with disabilities should be able to live where they choose, with the people they choose, and with the ability to participate fully in their communities.

By funding services and supports provided primarily by networks of community-based organizations, and with investments in research, education, and innovation, ACL helps make this principle a reality for millions of Americans.

back to top